Wondering how you can generate leads on LinkedIn? It's not as hard as you think! With over 300 million members across 200 countries, LinkedIn now earns two new members every second. That makes it an important part of your lead generation strategy!
It improves visibility for business professionals looking to establish themselves as subject matter experts and connect with the very consumer eagerly looking for the vital information they have to offer. So how can you tap into this valuable lead-generation resource?
1. Enhance your profile
Your LinkedIn profile is a place where you can showcase your professional career. It's also a place to actively promote the value of your business to potential leads, so make the most of it!
A few ways to enhance your LinkedIn profile:
- Complete your profile, including past and current employer information, background summary, special skills and education information, and all contact details, including websites and social media networks.
- Make sure keywords specific to your industry are included.
- Upload attachments such as letters of recommendation, client testimonials, presentation slide decks, or other information relevant to your occupation or industry.
- Add a business headshot that best suits the professional LinkedIn atmosphere.
- Create a strategically written headline that immediately allows community members to identify with and understand your value proposition.
2. Make thoughtful connections
LinkedIn is an excellent way to connect with potential leads. However, it's important to abide by LinkedIn best practices and avoid being viewed as spam.
If you're sending requests to connect, do not send one without adding a custom message. Sending the standard LinkedIn message does not explain who you are or why you want to connect. The LinkedIn default message states, “I use LinkedIn to keep track of my professional network and would like to add you.” You would be wrong if it sounds like an easy way to quickly send random new connections an invite.
Take time to identify who you want to connect with, and be thoughtful in your intentions to connect. Re-work that standard message to include details about you, your company, and a short explanation of why you would like to connect. Where did you meet, how do you know them, and what additional details can you offer to shed light on your request?
A Sample LinkedIn Message:
Hi ______, I have been a long-time fan of your blog and appreciate your valuable insight around the ______ industry. As someone that also works within that space, I am always looking to connect with like-minded individuals. I'd love to connect and hope you'll accept my request.
3. Participate in groups
Joining a LinkedIn group relevant to your business or niche is a wonderful way to strengthen connections with like-minded individuals and connect with consumers interested in a particular product or with a specific need.
LinkedIn groups offer a space where members can share their experience, knowledge, and wisdom in a trusted and credible environment. Research and join groups that have similar interests to yours. Then actively participate to build credibility within the community. Become an enthusiastic member and network to build trust and relationships over time.
Find LinkedIn groups you want to join.
There are three ways you can find groups:
- In the search box at the top of any page, select Groups from the dropdown list on the left. Then type in your keywords or group name to search. You can refine your search on the search results page using the checkboxes on the left.
- Move your cursor over Interests at the top of your homepage and select Groups. Select the Find a group link on the right side of the page Type in your keywords or group name to search.
- Use the LinkedIn Groups directory
4. Create a group
In addition to the above LinkedIn lead generation ideas, you have the ability to create your own group. As a group owner, you are given extra privileges to communicate with your members through an email newsletter. This powerful way to generate leads is by targeting a group interested in your specific niche or product.
Start daily conversations by asking questions, answering a frequently asked question, posting a video tip, or providing a resource that consumers are eagerly in need of. Your goal is to provide as much free information as possible and become a go-to resource within your industry or field.
5. Paid advertising
This opportunity might sound simple, but it remains a powerful way of generating the right leads through LinkedIn.You can purchase advertising and target a wide range of demographics, ensuring that LinkedIn provides the quality leads you are looking for. Used effectively, LinkedIn can serve as your main source of quality leads.
How will you get started with LinkedIn lead generation today?
About Rebekah Radice
Rebekah Radice, co-founder of BRIL.LA, has traded narcissism for purpose. When not driving growth, you'll find her tricking family into thinking she's Emeril Lagasse - likely covered in marinara. The spotlight was fun, but impact is better. These days she's using 20+ years of brand brilliance for good.