Do you know what makes today special? Not only is it the first Monday of the New Year, but it is also marks the one day of the year that you can try any new marketing idea without the fear of failure.Today is "Run it Up the Flagpole and See if Anybody Salutes It Day" where you have the opportunity to take your fresh, unused, creative marketing ideas out of the box.The idea behind running it up the flagpole is to present your marketing brilliance to those around you just to see what response you receive.It gives you a day specifically committed to experimenting with new marketing strategies. It also provides valuable feedback from your friends, peers and customers giving direction to your 2012 marketing efforts.
Marketing Ideas to Run Up the Flagpole
- How about trying something totally new with your email campaigns? Are they stale, boring or in desperate need of an update? Today is a great day to dust those old emails off, re-write, re-work or re-brand them. Spice them up with added verbiage, make a clear call to action or create a whole new campaign with that big idea you have been mulling over for months. Need a few ideas to get you started? Check out Email Content Hiding in Plain Sight.
- Create or Change up your Facebook Landing Page. Not familiar with what this is? A landing page is the first page new fans will see before heading to your wall. It's an excellent opportunity to market to your specific niche, direct fans to a special report or explain the benefits of working with you and your team.
- Design new and unique business cards that give clients special insight into who you are both personally and professionally. The days of boring head shots and cookie cutter designs are behind us. Let your personality shine through!
- Put a new twist on your print marketing. Take your clients by surprise and hold their attention with a fresh look. The most effective marketing campaigns are those that stick with you long after you pass that sign or bus stop.
- Take your website from a static, outdated and underused online tool to a lead generation powerhouse. Have you reassessed the reason behind your website since you first launched? The niche you served 3 years ago may not be the same one you serve today.
Not every idea you have will be a success. However, the more times you take a swing, the better chance you have to hit a home run. Don't fear failure today or any day in marketing. Running it up the flagpole is a powerful way to build your business by gaining important insight from your sphere.
It's a time for new beginnings and fun experimentation. Give it a try. Who knows…you may just find a great new marketing tool!
About Rebekah Radice
Rebekah Radice, co-founder of BRIL.LA, has traded narcissism for purpose. When not driving growth, you'll find her tricking family into thinking she's Emeril Lagasse - likely covered in marinara. The spotlight was fun, but impact is better. These days she's using 20+ years of brand brilliance for good.