Are you guilty of this copywriter’s deadly sin? You're not alone. "Hey [FirstName]" in emails? Yawn! It's been done to death. No one even bats an eye anymore. Steer clear of it. Instead, craft engaging openers that captivate your audience, like a movie's opening scene.
A thrilling first line will keep your readers glued to their seats for the entire email. Plus, engaging copy helps to establish trust and rapport, leading to improved click-through rates and, ultimately, higher conversions.
Swipe this 👇🏽
- Drop them straight into the story: "As soon as I bit into my bacon cheeseburger, I was in shock…"
- Controversial statement: “Peanut butter may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of burger toppings, but trust me, it's a game-changer.”
- Ask a compelling question: "What do burgers, pickles, and email marketing have in common?"
- Confession: "I screwed up as soon as I walked into my local burger joint last night."
- Impactful statistics: "Did you know that 7% of Americans believe that hamburgers are made from the meat of hamsters?"
- Pop culture reference: “You won't believe what Jim Carrey's favorite burger is.”
- Unexpected analogy: “Writing impactful email copy is like making a burger for a vegetarian.”
- Ditch the "Hey [FirstName]" in your next client email. Instead, start with a controversial statement. Use this template to create your own.
- <insert unpopular strategy/solution> may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of <insert the related problem>, but trust me, it’s a game changer.
“Peanut butter may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of burger toppings, but trust me, it's a game-changer.”
About Susan Rov
Susan traded cocktails and lattes for words that move. As a copywriter on a mission to end boring, she brightens brands and makes an impact. Number 463 on the list of fiction readers left standing, you'll find Susan at sunrise—running, writing, and wondering how to change the world next. That drive led her to become a founding team member of BRIL.LA.